5 simple ways to improve site usability
“Google now processes over 40,000 search queries every second on average, which translates to over 3.5 billion searches per day and 1.2 trillion searches per year worldwide.”
The internet’s presence in everyday life is growing rapidly. It was only 13 years ago that I had my first dial up internet connection in my home (behind the times I know). Back then I never would have imagined that a short time after we would have mobile internet access that was small enough to fit in my pocket.
With ever growing accessibility and functionality it is clear that the internet is a powerful tool for small and large businesses alike.
However, just having a website is not enough. If the website is not effective then it will just be forgotten and blend in with all the other nondescript sites that are out there. Here is a short list of things which could help your sites usability, leading to happier clients and more business.
Correct Text & Font…..
- This covers font style and positioning. Cleaner, less busy sites are growing in popularity. An easy way to keep a site clean is to use a large enough font which is clear and easy on the eye.
- Large blocks of text can lose the readers interest so break it down into smaller sections or use bullet points to hold their attention longer.
To the point…..
- There is so much information out there, if we all read everything that was offered to us we would never have time to use the information we are receiving.
- Attention spans start to struggle when there is too much to take on so getting to the point quickly and keeping to that point is important. A clear, simple and concise website is the most effective way to benefit you and your consumers.
- Straight forward access to the area your user requires is a must. A website’s usability is often considered a reflection of what it represents. If your site is efficient surely your business is also efficient?
- Having the option to return to the top of the page in one click or to choose a specific area quickly from a well thought out header will encourage users to come back to your site. If you had a choice between a site where you spend most of your time searching for what you need or a clean concise site that quickly gets you what you require , which would you choose?
Use more visual content…..
- A picture may say a thousand words…..but it also is nicer to look at than a whole age of text.
- Use visual aids to make the site more interesting, animation, pictures, diagrams and even short videos are a few examples of ways to make your site more aesthetically pleasing (just be spatially aware when placing these and make sure you don’t clutter the site)
Last but by no means least is SEO…..
- SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation
- The higher you rank the higher you will appear on search engine results. This is obviously an important part of being found. I mean, how many times in the last year have you gone past page 1 of your search results?
- Remember SEO can be improved at any stage. It’s never too late to tackle SEO.
URTeam can help you manage all the above areas and much more. We want you to get the most out of your online presence. Just drop us a quick email on email@example.com and we will get back to you to see how we can best support you.